The synagogue stands on what was formerly Van Nest Place, the southern border of an old Dutch farm that ran down to the Hudson River. The building is a former brownstone that was converted into a House of Worship over five years starting in 1912 and opened for Services in 1917 as the new home of the congregation. Founded in 1838, the congregation pioneered the free burial of indigent Jews, 1865 marking the first interment in its Bayside cemetery Mokom Shalom, a function later assumed by the Hebrew Free Burial Society. The congregation has always been a devoted supporter of Zionist efforts, joyously celebrated the rebirth of Israel, bought Israel Development bonds and donated a fully- equipped ambulance to the Red Magen David. Our members fought in the wars of 1948 and 1967. After WWII, refugees, including a few survivors of German extermination camps, enlarged our member roll. One, Nathan Steiman, owed his survival to Oscar Schindler. His son Michael regularly recites the prophetic Haftorah and concludes with Mussaf each Sabbath.